Difficulty: very easy. Preparation time: 10 mins.
Ingredients (makes 4 servings)
- 750 g ripe tomatoes
- 300 g green sweet pepper, preferably thin fleshed
- 150 g sweet white-fleshed onion
- Four tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Optionally, pickled capers (Capparis spinosa) and/or rock samphire (Chrithmum maritimum)
- Wash the vegetables. With a knife remove the pedicel scar of scar of the tomatoes and dice them. Core and dice the peppers. Peel the onion and chop it finely.
- Put the diced tomato and pepper and chopped onion in a bowl and add the olive oil and salt to taste. Optionally you can add pickled cappers and/or rock samphire; in this case you may reduce or even avoid the use of salt.
- Mix well and serve it into deep plates. During the summer season it is recommended to put it into the refrigerator for 1 h before serving to have a refreshing cold salad. Amazingly, after being prepared it can also be kept in the fridge for a couple of days without losing its freshness.
The “trampó” salad is usually served with a side dish of olives and sliced country bread.
My favourite tomato moment
My favourite tomato fact
Enjoying the fascination for tomato diversity in size, shape, colour, and taste with the kids, including my daughter, in the summer school of our University during the TRADITOM Kids Workshop.
Dry tomato seeds can be conserved for decades in a paper bag in a fridge at 4oC. In this way you can conserve your favourite tomato local variety for a very long time.
Profile: Tres Cantos GiganteGrowth region:
Spanish MediterraneanSize (in g):
slightly flattened, very large, slightly ribbed, often with radial cracking in the shouldersColour:
from dark red in the apical part to light red in the shouldersBasic taste:
balanced, very aromaticTexture:
fleshy, juicy, thick skin