Babushka’s Winter Joy
Difficulty: easy. Preparation time: 120 mins.
Ingredients (makes 5-10 servings)
- Traditional Le Parfait 1L glass jar
- Ripe tomatoes, 30-60 g fruits, as many as fits to the jar
- Garlic, 1 clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 peas of black pepper
- Dill, horse-radish and parsley 30-40 g
- Water 1L
- Salt 20 g
- Stow peeled garlic, black pepper, bay leaves, dill, horse-radish and parsley to the bottom of the thoroughly cleaned glass jar.
- Fill the jar in with tomatoes
- Dilute salt in water and boil the solution for 5 min
- Pour the boiling solution into the jar so that the liquid covers tomatoes completely
- Cover the jar with a lid but lose, not tight yet and pasteurize at 85°C for 20 min
- Then tighten the lid
- You can make your canned tomatoes in summer and store them for months till winter comes in a fridge or a basement. Best to consume as a snack on a freezing winter day, after “banja” (Russian sauna) with shots of ice cold vodka in a company of your babushka (Russian grandma).
Profile: CampariGrowth region:
NetherlandsSize (in g):
sweet-acid, rich flavourTexture:
firm and juicy